The Town of Minetto is located on the west shore of the Oswego River immediately south of the City of Oswego in Oswego County, New York. Our fire protection districts also encompass an area located in the neighboring Town of Oswego. Our coverage area features mostly residential and light industrial occupancies. The eastern most area of our district encompasses seven miles of the Oswego River and the New York State Barge Canal System.
Our organization responds to approximately 200 incidents annually.
The Minetto Fire Department was organized in 1879. The department was known as the A.S. Page Volunteer Hose Company of Minetto, New York. The department was named after A.S. Page, a co-owner of the only local industry, the Minetto Shade Cloth Company. From its organization until its incorporation in 1938, the fire department was owned and operated by this industry, later known as the Minetto-Meriden Company and then the Columbia Mills.
The Minetto Shade Cloth Company, later sold to a New York City firm and renamed the Minetto-Meridan Company and then finally the Columbia Mills Incorporated, manufactured a variety of products at its three factories throughout the company's long existance. During World War II, the Minetto plant manufactured camoflage material for the war effort. After the war, the plant became the largest Venetian blind manufacturing plant in the world. Later, the plant manufactured by-fold doors and imitation leather products for automobile dashboards and textbook covers. This industry built some twenty-five houses
In 1938, the fire department's membership, comprised mostly of employees of the Columbia Mills decided to become independent. They incorporated the department choosing the name "Minetto Volunteer Fire Corporation." Although the department incorporated, the industry continued to own the apparatus and the fire station located on the industry's factory site.
In 1953, the fire corporation purchased a fire engine manufactured by the Young Fire Apparatus Company. The engine, unit "1531" featured a 750 gallon per minute (GPM) pump and a 750 gallon tank.
In 1960, the corporation purchased a new American LaFrance custom fire engine. The engine, unit "1511", featured a 1,000 GPM pump and a 500 gallon tank capacity. This engine was a "one of a kind", originally custom designed as a demonstrator unit for the FDNY (Fire Department of New York). Budget constraints prohibited FDNY from accepting delivery. The corporation in turn purchased the apparatus at a discounted price. What made this apparatus so unique was that the custom American LaFrance cab and body were mounted on a Ford chassis.
In 1969, the department purchased land from the Columbia Mills and built a new 4-bay fire station located at 12 Barrett Drive. The MFD continues to operate out of this facility today.
In 1970, the corporation purchased a Chevrolet equipment van, unit "1571". In 1976, several members of the department realized the need for improved rescue services. Three members attained EMT certification and the department made a substantial commitment to purchase EMS equipment. Accordingly, the equipment van was re-categorized from a utility vehicle to a rescue squad, unit "1561."
In 1973, a new commercial tanker/pumper fire engine was manufactured by Sanford Fire Apparatus. The apparatus, unit "1541", featured a 1,000 gpm pump and a 1,000 gallon tank capacity mounted on a Chevrolet chassis.
In 1981, the department recognized the need to respond to incidents along the seven miles of the Oswego River and the New York State Barge Canal system. To answer this need, a used 13 foot aluminum boat was purchased.
In 1983, the corporation purchased an American LaFrance tanker/pumper. The apparatus, unit "1542", was a commercial Ford canopy chassis and featured a 1,000 gpm pump and a 1,000 gallon tank capacity. This apparatus was the first diesel fire apparatus and also the first to feature an automatic transmission and stainless steel body.
In 1985, a new light duty rescue squad, unit "1561" was purchased from Emergency One Inc. The primary duty of this unit was to respond to EMS calls and Motor Vehicle accidents. In 2004 a new four door chassis was installed to carry more personnel.
A custom Emergency One Cyclone 50 ft. Telesquirt was purchased in 1990. The apparatus, unit "1511" replaced the previous 1960 American LaFrance. The new engine had a 1,000 gpm pump and a 500 gallon tank capacity. It's still in use today.
In 1997, a Chevrolet step van was purchased to replace the 1970 van. This apparatus, unit "1571", was customized and now carries the department's water rescue, ice rescue, rope rescue gear as well as the department's hazardous materials equipment. The unit also serves as a rehab unit during extended operations.
Also in 1997, the department constructed a new training tower. This structure features 3 stories with an angled roof section for simulated roof operations and ventilation training. The structure is also designed for structural firefighting operations, ladder, rope rescue, search and hose operation training. Our training tower has provided the added benefit of hands on training which has proven to be an invaluable addition to our training division.
In 2001, a custom Seagrave rescue pumper was purchased. This apparatus, unit "1512", replaced the 1973 Sanford and the 1983 American LaFrance tanker/pumper apparatus.
THE DEPARTMENT NOW FEATURES:
1990 EMERGENCY ONE TELESQUIRT ENGINE (UNIT 1511)
2001 SEAGRAVE RESCUE PUMPER (UNIT 1512)
2011 EMERGENCY ONE HP 78 LADDER (UNIT 1581)
2003 EMERGENCY ONE LIGHT DUTY RESCUE (UNIT 1561)
2006 F-350 SQUAD (UNIT 1571)
2009 20 FT. RIBCRAFT WITH 135HP OUTBOARD ENGINE (UNIT 1572)